Friday, July 1, 2011

myPod Shuffle #1 - Veronica


I neglect my blog from time to time... especially last month when I worked almost 200 hours and spent most of my free time working on our new property.  This month is a countdown to being able to take possession of our new house, and it's also my birthday month.  Both of these have had me thinking a lot about my past and looking forward to the future as another chapter of my life begins.

I write best when I have music playing, and sometimes I find that my mind drifts to what was happening when I heard a certain song for the first time, or what certain songs represent about a particular event or person in my life.  So, I thought as we count down to getting our new home, and I reflect (as I usually do) during my birthday month about how I got to where I am now I would do the NaBloPoMo blog challenge like I did last November and try to post daily.

Everyday, I am going to turn on my iPod and then click "shuffle." Whatever song pops up I will write my blog post about, remembering the who/what/where/when and why of how the song is on my iPod.  However, today I am going to start with "Veronica" by Elvis Costello.  The song is about a woman who's lost her memory due to Alzheimer's and who doesn't know whether she's living the past or the present (which I think is most sincerely apropos, n'est pas?)

To which: I first heard this song my senior year in college. 1989. I can't tell you how many people have sung my name to me since this song came out. For me it's a reminder of all the hope and anticipation that came with the idea of graduating from college. I had studied journalism, and I was graduating without a job. I was leaving college and coming back home without a thought about what I was going to do. I had several applications out, but I had no experience. It was both a scary and exciting time.

I eventually worked in a pet store for about two months, which led to a secretary/clerk position during which I had an interview with a company I would later be hired by months later. That led to a year working in Mexico City after-which I came back home and got into the pre-med program. Which led me to here.

I'm sure there'll be a lot of "which led me to here" over the next month.

Funny thing:  the part where he sings "picked upon the bones of last week's news" I thought he was singing "picked upon the bones of last week's turkey.  Listen to it with turkey... you'll agree...

1 comment:

betty said...

this should be fun to see what songs you come up with Veronica as you shuffle around so to speak! 200 hours is a lot of hours to work in a month!!

betty

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...