Saturday, July 9, 2011

myPod Shuffle #9 - Ain't Even Done With the Night


This song was released in 1981, but I don't remember hearing it until I was out of college. It's another one of those songs I liked just for the beat... and then I heard the words... and then I truly understood the words.

It's about first love and innocence, and if I think back to eighth grade and then starting as a freshman in high school in 1981, I was all about innocence. First love... not really, that didn't come around until the following year, but crushes... who doesn't remember their junior high budding romances? All about suggestions whispered into ears leading to fits of giggling and who said what about whom at lunch time. Or initials carved in trees out in the field...

Now, mind you, I went to a small parochial school and the nuns seemed to be ever vigilant over too much attention between the boys and girls, but still, kids will be kids. As a resident covering at the Children's Hospital and hearing about 9 and 12 year olds having babies, I think back to 1981 and am amazed at my sheer naivete about matters. Sure, I had read about the birds and the bees. I knew enough to know that the "eggs" I had wouldn't break inside me like those of a chicken as one girl asked during sex ed. But I was still a year away from reading "Forever" by Judy Blume, two years away from my first kiss, and about million years away from thinking about sex...

Wonder if those songs will come up in the shuffle...? Hmm... 1 in 789 chance... we'll spin the wheel again tomorrow and see...

1 comment:

betty said...

it is sad that the age of innocence gets younger and younger these days; I can't imagine children as young as nine having babies; a mere babe having a babe. Just sad!

789 songs on your iPod! that is pretty impressive!!

betty

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...