Sunday, July 3, 2011

myPod Shuffle #3 - Give It Away



Suffice it to say, I have a very eclectic taste in music. For me, a song attracts me in different ways. In some, it's the beat; the bass or drum line. In others, it's the words. Some are because of what I was doing the first time I heard the song. And, others, I have to confess, are because of popular culture. I think it was the rhythm that first attracted me to this song by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I can honestly say I have no attachments to this song other than the beat. Despite the somewhat sexual overtones, the song was originally inspired by the values of altruism and selflessness.

This kinda reminds me of that rich man in Mark Chapter 10 who asked what he needed to do to have eternal life and Jesus answers in 10:21, "Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, “One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”"

Only by being selfless can you really be rich. All my life I've done some sort of volunteer work, and have gained so much experience and made lots of close friends. The most enjoyable experiences were working directly with people and seeing how something small can make a big difference in someone's life. So, give it away now and volunteer in your community... you'll be a richer person for it.

1 comment:

betty said...

so true Veronica about sharing what you have and being selfless can you truly be rich; being willing to go out and help others, no matter in what capacity no matter how small is how I do believe Jesus wants us to live; after all he was the perfect example of a servant :)

Hadn't heard this song before; it is interesting with all your different tastes in music!

I hope it is a good day for you and you are not in the ER but enjoying the day with your hubby!

betty

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...