My favorite author Tennyson one wrote:
"Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come,
whispering "It will be happier..."
Last year at this time I was writing about my hopes and dreams for the upcoming year and thinking about my resolutions; those I accomplished, those I didn't accomplish, and those I would set forth for the next year. I wrote about career, travel and family. I looked forward to a new dog, continuing work on our new home, and darn if that cheetah didn't elude me again.
But, all I have to do to remember the excitement and joy that this last year brought is to look at the over 3500 photos I took this year. Albeit, about 1500 are probably devoted to just the dogs. Within a year, we went from a 3 cat household to a three cat, two dog, two goat, two guinea, 13 chicken household. And, that alone came with it's own share of joys and sadness.
We traveled: from Tucson, Arizona to Mendocino, California. Trips to Laughlin, San Francisco, Sacramento. Disneyland for my birthday! Camping during the summer to Lakeview, Oregon and down to Hat Creek following the fly boys. Back to Medford and then down to my home town to get my mother who spent time at our home this year on two separate occasions.
The house got a new look from the outside as work continued. And, we are so close to finally finishing one room. Doesn't sound like much, but when you've got a massive home improvement project, it's one room at a time.
Career wise, I started doing shifts at the larger hospital in the area. I continued as the pre-hospital coordinator and on the county emergency medical committee. And, I've taken on several projects both in EMS and at my hospital which will continue to add to my leadership roles. I'm still on several committees with my national organization, and continue to teach and lecture within my group.
As for next year...
- to run a 5K. One of my friends at work has challenged me to get back into running. I've got new shoes. I've got the Couch to 5K app on my iPhone. I think I'm set.
- to get more organized. For some reason, I used to be the most organized OCD person ever, and that's been sorely lacking in a lot of areas. I need to find my focus and get coordinated once again.
- to finish a short story. I've got so many ideas and partially started projects going that I know I need to stop and focus and finish one... that will lead to two... then three... wash, rinse, repeat
- to continue to increase the presence of God in my life. Not that I need any more projects, but to contribute more of my time to the Church. If anything, to get back into the habit of daily prayer and meditation.
- to eke out every last bit of joy and fun in the things I do. We've got several trips planned, and I intend to make next year's photo count even bigger... which might mean I need a new MacBook... darn!
- and to just lay the foundations for a healthier, happier me... I think that will do the most to change the way I live my life during the upcoming year...
Happy New Years, and may you achieve all your hopes and dreams!!