Sunday, April 21, 2013

A New Place to Begin Anew

I don't have to post a blog today for the challenge, but since I promised one last week and I didn't deliver, I thought I would write one today.

When I first started blogging, it was on a platform run by AOL called Journals at AOL or something like that.  Suddenly AOL pulled its platform, and we (my fellow J-landers and I) were left floundering as we tried out other platforms.  I ended up on Blogger.

Since I had long answered the question that "yes, there are squirrels in Buffalo," I thought I would name my new blog "Buffalo Squirrels Won't You Come Out Tonight?"  Partially, this was to pay homage to my new temporary home, and partially, it was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the clientele I was meeting in the emergency department.

As I transitioned from a first to second year, I could see changes in my attitude toward dealing with patients.  I think I also became more reflective of some of the patients and cases I witnessed.  I gained a lot of experience dealing with emergency situations, some medical and some traumatic.   I also wrote a lot more about my patient experiences than I had before.

We had a plane crash that year with 52 souls lost.

I celebrated my one year anniversary with my DH.

I learned a little about a LOT of orthopedic surgery, mostly during call when the "Black Cloud" of the ortho service was my resident.

I ate my body weight in New Orleans while on a conference.

I spent a month with the county medical examiner and had a great rotation... hard to believe when you're dealing with death, but some of it is so fascinating.

I started off my senior residency year and had the worst case of my residency which still haunts me to this day.

I continued my love for all things fire truck related, and became assistant medical director of the Buffalo Niagara International Airport Airport Rescue Fire Fighters.

Hubby and I traveled the Interview Trail to find our new home in the Pacific Northwest.

I was sued.  The upside was returning to Boston and really enjoying the city and colleagues.

I crewed on a racing sailboat during that last summer in Buffalo and thoroughly enjoyed it!  Which led to my first posting on You Tube as I filled a video full of the hundres of pics I took that summer....




And, finally, graduation came, and I planned the cross-country move along with the end of that blog and the beginning of this one.

Thank you for joining me on this journey through memory lane... enjoy the rest of the challenge!  And, please, I hope you continue to enjoy this little blog of mine...!

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

It's a pleasure to drop by Veronica. I am always assured an interesting read or some great photos!
Keep up the good work!
I blanche at the thought of how busy you are and yet you still find time for an entry. You put me to shame.
I enjoyed the video.

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...