Tuesday, April 16, 2013

#538 - N is for National Parks

Momma always said the most important thing you could do for yourself in life was to travel.  
And, so we have... and still do... 
as much as she can handle...


Look familiar...?
Yes, it's the Grand Canyon...!


And, here's Momma at almost 75 enjoying the view...
She doesn't care that she looks like an eskimo...
For her it's all about warmth and comfort,
and her new Patagonia jacket...


And traveling in style...

I alway like to read local books
whenever I go somewhere...
But, this book has me freaked out...


It's a very macabre book about all the deaths
that have occurred in the canyon and
how they occurred.

Suffice it to say, I am getting nowhere near
the edge of a cliff,
going off any marked trail,
nor going down into the canyon
without an experienced guide,
a satellite phone,
GPS unit,
and about a week's worth of water for a day hike...


For now, Momma and I will hunker down 
and enjoy to view from way over here...!


4 comments:

Jeanie said...

Your Momma doesn't look anything like 75 Veronica. She is wearing well, as we say here in Britain. I would enjoy reading your book but I am definitely not one fr heights. My tummy does flip flops if I have to walk near cliff edges etc. If anyone with me casually walks towards the edge I instinctively react by walking backwards. lol
How wonderful to see you both enjoying yourselves.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I've never been to the Grand Canyon but I definitely want to! This summer Nik Wallenda is going to walk across it/part of it. Yikes!

Happy A-Z!

Unknown said...

Sounds like your mama is a very wise woman.

Jemima Pett said...

Your Momma does look great.:) I had a wonderful trip down the Canyon when I was in the US for Summer Camp many years ago now. It was great - especially leaving at dawn to climb up again - the colours were awesome.
Happy A to Z-ing
Jemima atJemima's blog

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...