Sunday, November 4, 2012

NaBloPoMo Day 4 - Cows


I've written before how much I like cows... love cows... love cheese.

I was thinking about cows today as I drove home from taking the dogs to the Sunday Morning Pack Walk.  A field I pass is full of brand new baby calves;  some of which are "fresh outta da oven" and still steaming in the cool morning air.  It's amazing this annual event, when the moms are placed out in the field to give birth.  But, it also comes with a little twinge of sadness.

Now, don't get me wrong... I love a good ribeye as much as the next person.  And, I used to comment that I could be a vegetarian if it wasn't for ribeye steaks.  Having "gone raw" for a time, and now as I am getting older eating more vegetable base, I can do without the ribeyes.  Except maybe once or twice a year on a special occasion.

But, still.  Living in this dairy community and having a pack of critters on our property, I am much more cognizant of where my food comes from.  If I buy meat, which is getting to be more and more infrequent, I get it from our local meat market which buys from local ranchers.  Literally I see where my meat is coming from because I drive past it on a regular basis.

Our local creamery is also at the end of the bridge coming into town;  so I know where our milk, and ice cream, and CHEESE! is coming from as well.  If I could get more than a 1/4 cup of milk after about 30 minutes of goat milking I would be making my own... but, for now I'll leave that to the professionals.  Although, maybe one day, I'll raise a calf of my own... 

How about we leave that crazy idea for another day... but still, hmm....

1 comment:

betty said...

Somehow I can picture you with a calf Veronica. I think you are definitely more suited to that type of lifestyle than I would be :)

betty

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...