Thursday, December 9, 2010

Growing Pains...

According to Erikson's Stages of Psychosocial Development, I am at the age where I am supposed to "create a comfortable home."  I'm not so sure I'm ready to do that.

I've been a renter for 19 out of the last 25 years... I've never even thought about the possibility of buying a house since my career life had been so up in the air.  Now, we're shopping for a house.

I want the white picket fence with 2800 square feet, three bedrooms, lots of windows, high ceilings and a gourmet kitchen.  I worry about hardwood versus carpet floors, tearing down wallpaper and finding the right furniture.  Oh, and we want a dog or two to add to the family, so a nice yard and play area.  And, a spot for a garden.  Not too much to ask, right?

My DH worries about survey lines, acreage, power grids. He questions roof lines, heating systems, and septic tank placement (I'd never heard of a septic tank until I got into house buying out here.)  He wonders about foundations, inspection reports and, because of his job as an appraisal, he wonders how scrupulous other appraisers are in their reports.

It's led to some arguments.  I like the picture windows, and he comments on heating costs.  We argue over putting in a propane tank for a gas stove versus using an electrical one (I say gas cooks more evenly.)  We haven't even made an offer on a house, and we discuss whether the kitchen counters should be granite versus tile... a painted backsplash versus a tile.

Suffice it to say, I'm learning a lot about real estate, and he's learning a lot about scrolled embellishments for the kitchen cabinets... and, since it's a buyer's market right now, that perfect house might just be available.

2 comments:

betty said...

LOL, Veronica, I can so relate. Hubby is thinking "flood plain" when we are looking at houses and I'm thinking convenience to where I have to drive. Definitely gas for cooking! I've cooked on both and gas always wins out over electric.

whatever you find and make an offer on, once you get into it and fix it up for you guys, it will be home (for hopefully many a year!)

betty

Jeanie said...

All the commonsensical views and decisions apart I hazzard a guess that you will both know where home is once you have found it.
Have fun whilst looking.
I think the cats and the dogs will have fun once they all meet up. Hohoho!
Have a great debate between you. Interesting times ahead for you both.
All the best!
Jeanie xx

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...