Tuesday, November 9, 2010

NaBloPoMo Day 9

Today's NaBloPoMo prompt asked about your favorite song of this year;  then went on to ask about your favorite song 5, 10, 20 years ago... which made me think about how much I love music, and how eclectic my tastes in music are.

I can't think of a time when I didn't have a radio.  A small transistor radio of some sort.  Then I got a turntable, and I played my mother's 50's and 60's records over and over.  When I turned about 8 or 9, I got to go to the music store for the first time and pick out my own.  I made a list of my favorite songs.  I was allowed to pick out three 45's.

Somewhere in there, I remember the 8 track player in my mother's Olds Toronado.  I used to pack up the case with my favorites when we went on long car trips.  The other day, I actually heard one of the songs that I remember from my favorite 8 track, um, cassette.  Wow, the memories.

Then I remember this awesome new thing called a portable cassette player.  Imagine being able to record your favorite songs off the radio, and you only paid for the cassette!  Mixed tapes became the ultimate symbol of love and lust just about the time I was starting college.

I can still remember the very first Walkman I had.  Then came the Sony CD Walkman.  Oh, my God.  What purity of sound was this?  Wow.  We all listened one by one to the headphones pouring out pure tones and beats we had never heard before.  Every ultimate stereo set now included the CD player for those, eek, $25 CD's with all the boxed wrapping.

Of course, then the MP3 player was born, and my music never became so portable.  Then I got the phone with the music player.  I was stylin'!  Of course, now I have the iPhone with the capability of holding several days' worth of music.  We listened to mine from NY to CA, and I don't think we repeated one song.

Do you sing along to music in your car?  I do.  It makes my DH laugh sometimes.  I was actually voted, "Knows the Words to Every Song" when I was in high school.   If only medical school lectures could be put to music... I would have aced every single exam.  Ok, time to put on some music before I go to sleep... will it be Mana?  maybe some Blue Oyster Cult?  or maybe something from the old days... maybe a little Chicago, which, by the way, was the first 45 I asked for.  "If You Leave Me Now."  Wonder where that 45 is now?

1 comment:

betty said...

The 45 might be in a box in your mom's garage if you stil have stuff stored there? Great memories! Music and how we listen to it sure has come a long way in our lifetimes. I do sing aloud in the car (usually when I'm by myself, its much kinder that way on people's ears :)

love your new squirrel on your blog header picture!

betty

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...