Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Life Moves Pretty Fast

 I can't believe how much time has passed since the last time I posted... Let's get you caught up on "life on the farm" shall we...?


Why, yes, this is a baby goat... Her name is Boot Scootin' Boogie aka Bootsie. She is a bit of a surprise. When we got our goats about a month ago, the breeder said that Josie was sterile. That she'd been with a male goat for a while and hadn't gotten pregnant. So, last week Monday after the goats were put in for the night, I told my DH that something was wrong with Josie. She kept calling out from the barn and seemed very restless. He argued that she was just being annoying as always, and we went to bed. The next morning while I was in the shower, DH went out to let out the goats and chickens for the day. He came back in and said, "Something's wrong with Josie." I asked what, and he said he didn't know but that "something's falling out of her behind." I quickly got dressed and ran outside. And, that's how Bootsie came into the world. It's been an amazing week of watching this tiny little shaky blob slowly find her legs.  She now scampers around the yard with her Momma.

I did medical control for the Tour of the Unknown Coast bike ride again. It's a fabulous 100 mile bike ride along the coastline here going from redwood forests to the coast and then up an impossibly steep series of hills before the scary downhill run home. No major traumas, just some dog bites that had to be attended to.

Dixie is a week away from being 6 months' old. It's been awesome seeing her grow up and develop. She went through an impertinent teenage stage which she is slowly getting over, and she's really turning into a wonderful dog.

As for our "mutant chickens" that I wrote about in the last post... well, 3 have disappeared. One for sure died, as we found it near the barn. The other two, we're not sure, but I hope there isn't another wild cat around. We have seen foxes around, so maybe they got eaten by one of those. Nonetheless, DH thinks we should stick with bigger breed chickens. They seem to do better.  In fact, tomorrow I'm supposed to get 2 more large hens and a new rooster.

Work continues about the same, and I know we're starting to head into the trauma season, so it's going to get even more busy. I was chosen as an instructor for a new program on patient safety so that has kept me busy with training and meetings. I also am the new pre-hospital care medical director, so that is going to take up a little more of my time.

With new babies, a new puppy coming soon, and living in this wonderful place, I know I am going to have to get a better handle on my time... I don't want to miss anything...

2 comments:

betty said...

Dixie looks regal sitting there! That is so interesting about Josie and her baby; I knew you had posted it on FB, but sometimes its hard to get everything done to comment there, comment here, comment everywhere :)

life does seem like it is going well for you; your career seems like it is growing leaps and bounds; always good to become a director of something :)

betty

Lori said...

Nice catching up with you!

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...