Saturday, January 22, 2011

Random Thoughts #1 of 2011

I've been very lax about writing recently. Funny thing is, I keep thinking of all these great blog postings, then I get distracted, then I get busy, and I never write them down. So I thought I would take a moment to write about a few things that have popped into my brain over the last week or so... caution, this may go long.

I love to travel, and I love taking photographs.  One of my colleagues asked what I liked to take pictures of, and I said, "Everything!"  My mom got used to pulling over to the side of the road frequently during road trips so that I could take a picture of something I saw that looked interesting.  My husband is slowly learning the same thing... My photographic life has been just that more interesting with the advent of camera phones.  I carry my phone everywhere, so instantly I can point and shoot.  In fact, my entire cross-country trip was shot with my iPhone... yeah....

We started eating "raw" again this year.  After finding that I gained a bunch of weight back following finishing residency and getting settled in a new place, it was time.  Time to get back that energy I had before.  Time to start fighting against the aging tide.  Time to get back into my old clothes.  And, time to truly test my self-discipline.  While not 100% raw, what can you say about the healthiness of self-made veggie patties, in a lettuce wrap with pinto bean chips?  My DH said, "Yum!"

I work in the emergency department.  While in residency, I worked in a trauma center which I sometimes referred to as the "drama" center since I enjoyed the back story of patients to the actual medicine.  I find that while I am not seeing the amount of trauma that I trained under, the drama certainly hasn't diminished in the least.

A few nights ago I found myself counseling a just-20-something patient who is pregnant and living with her almost-30 year old "baby daddy" in his parents' home.  The "he should understand what I'm going through because he's already got two other kids from when he was married," comment started a tightness in my shoulders that lasted throughout the entire 20 minute conversation.  I let her talk despite having several more patients to see because, literally, she has no one else.  She was a foster kid who was finally placed in a home at age 11.  She left this home in another state due to frictions between her and her foster parents.  I didn't ask how she ended up pregnant and alone several hundred miles away, but here she is, and I am sure it will not be the last time I see her in the E.D. during her pregnancy.


Did you know there's actually a "Squirrel Appreciation Day?"  I celebrated it this year by taking a nap since I am on the night shift over the weekend.  Had I known earlier, I might have done something a little more festive around my blog.... 


As, you can see... I am the tail-end of my blogpost..... Until next time!

3 comments:

betty said...

that poor girl, Veronica. What a sad situation for her. I mentored a girl when we lived in Montana; she was also in foster care since she was six weeks old. I lost touch with her after we moved (she was a high school senior when I was mentoring her) but found her a few years later on Facebook. She had a child, but wasn't married. I think maybe they are just looking for someone that will love them and stay with them and who else put a child? It is sad though. I am glad you took the time to talk with her.

good for you for eating raw; we'll be doing something similar soon; time to drop weight (again) ourselves.

I'm moving this week and I'm not really blogging these days (deleted my blog), but I do check my Dashboard. So if you don't hear from me for a bit you'll know what is up. Moving into hubby's parents' home since they are in assisted living, so he can help out with things and be closer to them. but the house is a mess so my time will be spent de-cluttering, etc. When I can I'll return, just don't know when that will be. In the meantime,take care of yourself (and your hubby and your cats :)

betty

Julie said...

I am always saddened by patients like that young girl, fast forward 10 years, see her with 3 more kids with 3 different daddies, just sad.

I am impressed with your raw eating. although I love most raw foods, steak is a friend of mine. I do green monsters for breakfast though, almond milk, spinach, blueberries, strawberries, one banana and a tbsp of cinnamon, keeps me going all day.

Lori said...

I admire you for being able to deal with patients like that girl (and others that will tear at your heart) on a day-to-day basis.

I think a nap is a great way to celebrate anything!

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...