Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Well Burl Me Over...


I think I said we like stopping at different places when we travel, and today we stopped at "It's a Burl" on our way home.  It's a great art gallery that includes several buildings.  I didn't know what a burl was, and today I learned all about burls, where to find them, and how to polish my own.


This is a picture of a redwood tree burl, and it's basically a cluster of sprouts.  Some are from the roots, others are along the tree, some come out when the tree falls.  It all depends on the type of tree.  And from these burls you get pieces of art like this table...

I love learning stuff like this... that's what traveling is all about...!


2 comments:

Claudia said...

The second photo looks like bigfoot in the background.

betty said...

Very interesting!! I like day trips like you did and learning about the area!! have a good day Veronica!

betty

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...