Monday, April 29, 2019

Y is for Yesterday


I had some odd choices in music as a kid.  Like the song "Yesterday" by the Beatles.  I mean, what 8 year old is attracted to a song about a failed relationship...?

"Why she had to go, I don't know

She wouldn't say
I said something wrong
Now I long for yesterday
Yesterday

Love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh, I believe in yesterday"

Seriously...?  And one of my other favorite songs was "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" by Chicago.  That came out when I was 15.  Ironically, it was more relevant to me years later in college when I saw the movie "Summer Lovers" with my then dream guy who then, obviously, broke my heart.


"Hold me now


It's hard for me to say I'm sorry

I just want you to stay

After all that we've been through

I will make it up to you

I promise to

And after all that's been said and done

You're just the part of me I can't let go"

Was I just melancholy as a child or what?  Or did I have some weird attraction to songs about people who subsequently leave?  I can't say, but thinking about Y today for this blog brought up some really weird memories and the melody of "Yesterday" came to mind... so there it is... 

3 comments:

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

Did you even think about what the words to a Beatles song meant at age 8? Chances are you were infatuated with the Fab-4 and anything that came out of their mouths was great!

Jz said...

It's a dang good question!
Enjoy the quick step to the finish! -)

betty said...

I like that Chicago song. I set up a Phil Collins station on Pandora and that is played a lot. Now I'll be humming it all night.

betty

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...