Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Catching up on F - I


F is for Fall....
She fell...
Stupid stupid fall...
I should have been watching her more carefully...
It had been raining and her hand slipped on the car,
and the next thing I knew she was down.

G is for new Gear...
She went to surgery...
He (the surgeon) didn't want to really do it, but he did...
and she did great!
Came out of the surgery, made it through her 4 day
hospital stay...


H is for Healing...
She went to rehab...
Spent two and half weeks learning
how to do things with one leg...
Building up strength in her arms...
Working to get back home...


I is for Inspiration...
I could never get her to smile for photos,
I don't know why...
I've been looking at her high school yearbooks,
her wedding photos,
photos of her life,
she actually photographed very well,
and she had a great smile...
But she wouldn't smile for me when I took her photos...

I could make her laugh, but then I was laughing too
and not thinking about capturing that moment...

I should have videotaped her then...
Laughing...
I wish I had...

I wish now I had them all back...
All of the travels, all of the fun...
All of the letters, and cards, and phone calls...
All of the love and support she gave me...

I carry them with me... 
I carry her memory...
But, most of all, I carry her inspiration...
Her challenge to always do your best,
Her challenge to always take responsibility for my actions...
Her challenge to travel, to explore, to go beyond what I know...

It's ok, Mom, I'm going to remember that one
most important thing you always said
as I was walking out the door,
"Be nice..."

1 comment:

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

Oh, the beautiful memories, the times we took for granted, the days we squandered, the fun we thought would go on forever. Those are the keepsakes, the instant recall of laughter and uninhibited smiles.
http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/
I is for: Infamous-Prison Secrets Part 1 of 2
(Theme: very short stories/varied genres)
J is for: Just Listen–Prison Secrets Part 2 of 2

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...