Sunday, July 1, 2012

Birthday Shuffle a Deux #1

Last year, I decided that I would blog every day during my birthday month and reflect on the past, think about the future, and have fun going through my iPod shuffle.  Since I am over 1000 songs, I shouldn't have any repeats, but if I do, I will shuffle past to the next one... that's not cheating, right...?

Let's spin the wheel and see, shall we...?





Scarborough Fair/Canticle by Simon & Garfunkle.  Did you know that this is actually two songs in one?  Scarborough Fair is a ballad and the first and last stanzas while Canticle is the middle part of the song.  I always wondered about the "parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme..." lyrics.  My research has showed that different spices in medieval times were associated with different virtues.  Parsley was comfort, sage was strength, rosemary was love, and thyme was courage.  


I can't say I love this song.  I can't really say this song is particularly associated with any part of my life.  It's just a nice "easy listening" kind of song.  Oh, and I always found it to be kind of anti-war with the "generals order their soldiers to kill, and to fight for a cause they've long ago forgotten."


We'll have to see what the rest of the month holds...

4 comments:

betty said...

I liked this song; haven't heard it in a long time; interesting with the spices being associated with virtues; that was something I learned today!

love your new blog header picture!

betty

Winnie said...

I enjoyed reading your post. I had no idea it was two songs in one! i haven't heard this in ages. I liked some of their music. Bridge over Trouble Waters comes to mind. Have a Happy 4th!

Missie said...

Who doesn't love that song!

Lori said...

This is a favorite of mine, as are Simon and Garfunkel. Scarborough Fair is a traditional ballad. Scarborough Fair was a popular gathering during Medieval times; a fair that lasted 45 days. Canticle is definitely an anti- Viet Nam song. The first and last verses of SF/C are sung alone, but in the middle verses the lines of SF alternate with Canticle.

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...