Wednesday, November 28, 2018

NaBloPoMo2018 - Day 28


I think the worst part of having diabetes is it really limits the foods you can eat... well, that's not to say you can't eat what you want, except, you can't eat what you want... well you could but then you go blind, lose feeling in your legs and have parts of your body amputated... you have an increased risk of heart disease and are at risk for infections going very badly and not healing properly...

Kinda sucks...

To say I have a very strong family history would be an understatement... I knew that I would become a diabetic, it was just a matter of when... like a ticking time bomb, except there was no big clock on the side giving you a countdown... well, it was good while it lasted... I ate what I wanted and never thought about calories or glycemic indices or carbs or well, anything...

And, now?  It's just not the same.  Every food item is analyzed down to it's molecular makeup... how many carbs? How many sugars? How much fiber? Subtract fiber from sugar equals total sugar? And, that's for every food item, so imagine trying to eat a meal... Like the one above I shared with friends recently while in San Diego... meat good... everything else... bad... and, don't even get me started on alcohol! All alcohol is bad, mostly because of the sugars... and the fact that the medication I now have to take doesn't react well with it...

Did I mention this sucks..?

It's changed my life in some good ways though... my weight is down because I don't eat like I used to... or drink like I used to... also, I tend to exercise more, because my weight is down and I have more energy, but moreso because the more I exercise the more I can cheat a little bit and I don't have to take as much medication. My last two doctor's visits showed great HbA1c numbers, and my doc told me I could cut down on my medication... win!

I still love food, I just sample more than eat... everything in moderation... 

#NaBloPoMo18

No comments:

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...