Sunday, November 11, 2018

NaBloPoMo 2018 - Day 11

Somewhere in the South Pacific


In what do you put your faith?

At Mass today, a widow through the prophet Elijah put her faith in God that she would not go hungry. She had enough flour and oil to make one last meal for herself and her son and then they would starve as there was a famine in the land.  Elijah told her essentially to trust that God would provide for her until rain came back to the lands.  She trusted in God, and she and her son were fed from the jars of oil and flour for over a year.

That's some pretty strong faith.  My mother has that kind of faith.  Me, I'm a little more skeptical.  While I was doing my pre-med studies, I had to take a lot of science classes.  I reached a point where I began to seriously reconsider the existence of God.  Mind you, I had been raised a Catholic and had attended Catholic schools my whole life.  But science made sense... until I got into the more advanced sciences and began to think that there was no way any of this happened randomly.

I agree with evolution except the part where humans come from apes;  I can't make that leap.  But I do believe our modern animals come from pre-historic animals and developed because of needing to adapt to their environments.  I believe in creation.  Sure, it didn't take 7 days, more like over 4.5 billion years.  It's amazing how studying science you get a vision into the divine.

I do believe in destiny.  I believe I have a pre-determined path.  I believe I was given certain talents and skills with which I was meant to do something good and live a life which is extraordinary (ala Mr. Keating.)  I believe God has a purpose for me and that it's shown to me in little bits.  But I fight it at times.  I get impatient and challenge.  And then something happens and it's like "OK, God, whatever, I'll do it the way you want me to..."

And that's when He really reveals His plan for me.  And, I take it on faith that I have the skills to accept the challenges He puts before me.  It's led me to this point, and we're no where near the end of my life's journey.

p.s. I generally don't watch TV but there's a new show on CBS called "God Friended Me."  It's been highly enjoyable and has a great message.  Check it out... tell me what you think... 

#NaBloPoMo18



No comments:

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...