Wednesday, November 11, 2015

November Notes, Day 11


My husband has this thing for old cemeteries.  For as long as I've known him, he's always been interested in them, and whenever we go on a road trip, if there's an old cemetery, he wants to stop and see it.


He says it's because cemeteries are the only place where there is absolute truth.  No lies.  Nothing made up.  Date of birth, date of death, name.  Pretty basic...




I remember one old cemetery in Southern Wisconsin where we stopped.  There was a large mausoleum type tomb to one side.  It was for a man who had about 4 wives.  All buried together, along with some kids.  You just walked around the tomb, and you could see their entire history.  Wife number one died at about 20-something years of age, then wife number two came along and she died at some 30 years of age.  Then there were wives three and four.  A little older and I think the last one finally did outlive him.  A lot of stories on that one tomb.


Even though I don't tell him, I'm sure there's some tombs where the information isn't completely true.  But then, I like to watch a lot of Forensic Files and CSI.... And, I can bet, there's a lot more that those graves would say, if they could only talk, and we could take the time to listen...






1 comment:

Lori said...

Before I got to your last paragraph I was thinking, "yes, except where they spell the name wrong or something." One of my great-grandmother's has her name misspelled on her gravestone.

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...