Sunday, November 11, 2012

NaBloPoMo Day 11 - Beach Stroll

I love the ocean. 

Since we've moved to Northern California, at least once a month I've gone down to the beach.  Now with the dogs I go more frequently because there's nothing better than letting the dogs run, chase birds, chase each other, and splash around in the waves.  While they play, I walk with my head down looking for treasures.

There's nothing like walking along the beach after a storm.  Lots of things wash up on the shore.  Shells, rocks, seaweed... It's the start of sport crabbing season, so we're finding a lot of crab shells washed up on shore as well.  We also find crab traps, rope, bouys, etc.  It's really random.

I also look for rocks.  White rocks.  White polished rocks.  The purer white the better.  I have a collection of them in a basket just near my front entry way.  I actually convinced my husband once to carry a two pound rock back for me.  But it was white... well, nearly white... just a single streak of grey running through it... it's not my fault the rock was so big and hadn't yet broken down into multiple smaller rocks.

I thought I would share one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite poets from one of his poems... the one that starts, "My life is like a stroll upon the beach..."

The Fisher’s Boy    by Henry David Thoreau

My life is like a stroll upon the beach,
   As near the ocean’s edge as I can go;
My tardy steps its waves sometimes o’erreach,
   Sometimes I stay to let them overflow.

Today's Beach Walk 11/11/12
My sole employment is, and scrupulous care,
   To place my gains beyond the reach of tides, —
Each smoother pebble, and each shell more rare,
   Which Ocean kindly to my hand confides.

I have but few companions on the shore:
   They scorn the strand who sail upon the sea;
Yet oft I think the ocean they’ve sailed o’er
   Is deeper known upon the strand to me.

The middle sea contains no crimson dulse,
   Its deeper waves cast up no pearls to view;
Along the shore my hand is on its pulse,
   And I converse with many a shipwrecked crew.

2 comments:

JOHN said...

I enjoy reading your blog.The Ocean is a very peaceful place to walk and find treasures.Stop by Life in Johns World when your blog reading

That corgi :) said...

The beach is such a great place to spend the time with dogs, loved ones, alone, etc. I like your collection of white rocks! Neat thing to look for while you are walking with the dogs!

betty