Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fuel the Machine

While I have been known to indulge in the occasional bacon-blue cheeseburger from time to time, for the most part I have been following a mostly raw diet.  When I get a chance to cook at home, I use natural ingredients and shy away from processed foods.  So when I consult my overweight patients about healthy eating, I know what it takes to do it.

My philosophy from my days training in cardiac surgery is "Nothing in a bag, nothing in a box, nothing in a can."  Nothing in a bag means fast food.  I know you can get a full meal from Micky D's for about $5, and the same meal would cost you more to buy and take more time to make, but the health benefits should take precidence.  Nothing in a box means TV dinners and pre-processed "add water and heat" type foods.  They have little nutritional value and are usually salt or sugar loaded as preservatives.  Nothing in a can means sodas and canned foods.  Sodas, again, have no nutritional value, and have high concentrations of sugar and salt.  Remember the 50 pound two year old I talked about in a prior post...?  Canned foods also have high sugar and or salt contents to help with preservation.

So when Mrs. POTUS talks about programs to limit what you can and can't buy at school or limiting personal freedoms under the guise of "if you can't take care of yourself, let the government take care of you," let me let you reflect on the EBT buyer who had a grocery cart loaded with Top Ramen, packaged juice boxes and sodas.  I maybe saw one object of nutritional value - a gallon of milk - which most likely was to be poured over the box of sugar bombs also sitting in her cart.  Maybe that school diet will be the healthiest thing those children eat all day.

If you need any further proof of going raw or going natural, watch this video...


1 comment:

Claudia said...

There is a great book "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan and lists 64 rules.

The one I like the most is "Don't eat anything your great grand mother would not recognize."

A thing I have realized that neither my husband and I (age 66 and 65) have hypertension. We eat next to nothing of processed foods or canned foods for our entire lives. Has anyone done a study on that and the prevalence of HTN?

Featured Post...

The Mid 40's are in the Books

For some reason I never got around to writing about traveling to National Parks numbers 44, 45 and now 46...! Back at the end of June...