Ok, so about 10 days have passed, and we are still in the process of settling into our new home. I also had to take several days in between all this to go south and take care of my mom after cataract surgery; so that also slowed down the moving in process. However, we have had a chance to start exploring our new environment.
A few thoughts:
- it's amazing what you find when you start to unpack. I have found clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc. that I forgot I had. Not to mention the box of kitchen utensils that I didn't unpack for three years while I was in Buffalo because I didn't really need them there...
- merging two households after 4 separate moves makes for a lot of redundancy... although, we could have a very eclectic dinner party and used different combinations of dishes and silverware.
- my cats settled down very well and are starting to find their favorite places around the house... most frequently settling down wherever we are. Funny how they now have about twice the living space, and they still insist on being in the same room. Cats are weird.
- no birds have come to my bird feeders. I was very excited about being able to set them up again, and I thought living in the country I'd see a whole host of birds. We've been here almost 2 weeks and nary a bird has come to the feeder. My husband did see one bird that landed for a brief second on the birdbath, but that's been about it.
- we are in a great location. Five miles to the west is the ocean. We can hear the roar at night. Two miles to the south is a pine forest. Surrounding us on the other two sides are acres of dairy farms. And, there's a major river with trout and salmon which I have to cross every day to get to the main highway. We're very much enjoying being "far from the things of man" in a sense.
Ok, that's it for now. Will post pics from the road once I get them all organized, and I will share pics from the surroundings as well.... Cheers!